Blogging is defined as a frequent, chronological publication of personal thoughts and Web links by marketingterms.com, dictionary.com defines it as “a website containing the writer’s or group of writers’ own experiences, observations, opinions, etc., and often having images and links to other Web sites”. Most traditional marketers would simply define it as a waste of time. However, that is because they are unaware of the true importance blogging has for enhancing a brand, especially in the hospitality industry.
Take the room with a view blog which is maintained by the Pan Pacific Vancouver. The frequency and relevance of posts has increased the hotels search engine optimization a great deal. A blog produces real-time, organic results in search engines such as google, by maintain one that has key words or phrases you are essentially increasing your visibility on these search engines without having to pay for a sponsored listings. Not only that, because they focus on events and happenings in Vancouver along with their property, when someone googles an event such as Canada Day, the room with a view blog is visible in these listings. This allows them to create awareness along with increasing their SEO without spending any precious marketing dollars.
Another benefit of blogging within the hospitality industry is the fact that it is building relationships and establishing rapport with past and future guests. By reading your hotels’ blog guests can begin to relate to you and associate a personality with your property. This approach provides comfort, instills confidence and engages travelers. A few other benefits of having a blog include:
- Increased website traffic
- It generates back links
- It is an excellent content management system – you can easily upload images, videos and other documents
- Generates media and public realtions connections
With that being said here are the 3 most important elements to keep in mind when blogging for hotels:
- Establish a clear point of view and personality. If you have different people writing be sure to introduce each person and ensure the reader knows who is writing.
- Create a blog schedule, know when you are writing and what you are writing about. This will ensure there is consistency and not a long period without any posts. In addition, it will allow to work in posts that come up spur of them moment.
- Encourage a conversation, ask your guests questions and to share their experiences. This not only adds to your SEO but also allows instills confidence in future guests. Most importantly, be sure to respond to these comments, the last thing you want to do is create a conversation and make participants feel ignored.
To all of those who feel that blogging is a waste of time, don’t knock it until you try it. Clearly, the possibilities are endless.